2005/09/23

Evacuation Blues

A friend just called. He took his wife, 2 kids, and 4 greyhounds to New Mexico in two cars. It took him 33 hours to get there. I can drive halfway across the country in 33 hours. I know, because I've done it within the past few years. It takes less time than that to get to Fairfax, VA from here. When I was younger and crazier I could have made it about 3/4 of the way across the country barring cops.

God damn I'm glad we didn't evacuate. Of course, if things went differently I might be thinking otherwise.

The weather fairy is still pushing landfall near Cameron, LA. He's been right so far, so I'll stick with his predictions.

The wind is blowing pretty hard now. The plywood over the living room doors just banged pretty loud. The rain is coming down at about a 45 degree angle. I am sure that given some time and my engineering texts, I could back that out and get an estimate of wind speed. Of course, that presumes a) sobriety and b) effort that I'm just not going to spend.

Okay, we just lost the plywood over the laundry room and one piece over the living room doors. I put the living room one back up. If I anticipated higher winds, I'd put the laundry room wood back up. My attachment system is somewhat improvised, since no clips were to be found. I cut short wedges to hold the plywood against the brick in some places and full length 2 by 4 wedges in others. We'll see how many we have by the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home