2009/06/17

Nice thoughts, Cold Realities

So I got this e-mail from one of Newt Gingrich's blast deals that contained the following words:

America has been here before.

1964, 1977 and 1993 - in each of these years Republicans were gleefully pronounced dead by the news media. But in each case, they came back.


1964 was followed by 1965, in which
Ronald Reagan was elected governor of California.

Two years later we began a 40-year period in which no overt liberal won the presidency.

In 1977, Jimmy Carter's popularity on inauguration day was higher than Barack Obama's.

But in 1980, Ronald Reagan won a
decisive victory and changed the course of America.

In 1993, they said Bill Clinton was creating a new, stronger Democratic Party.

In 1994, the
Democratic Party suffered its worst defeat in 40 years.


So don't tell me it can't be done.


Kind of uplifting, and I think a lot of people will be surprised in a couple of years, if they haven't already usurped our right to vote by then. Unfortunately, I think if we're counting on this crop of Republicans to get us there, we're in big trouble. I think it is time for something new, but I don't necessarily think I'm the one smart enough to know exactly what that should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home