2010/03/09

Fraud

Let us suppose, gentle reader, that you are beset by various maladies and afflictions which pain your every waking moments and even made the surcease of gentle slumber unavailable to you. You are, in short, ill and looking for a cure.

Let us further suppose that I have a cure available for sale. You, being ill, ask me about my cure. I respond with enthusiasm and assurances that my cure will fix what ails you. My cure is most wondrous and will restore the sparkle in your eye and the vigor in your step. My elixir will cure whatever ailment you may have, for my cure is the stuff of legends.

You are somewhat skeptical. My cure sounds entirely too good to be true. You would like to see my cure, and perhaps get some independent assurances that my cure is effective. Alas, I am unable to even permit you a glimpse of my famed elixir... until you buy it. Upon the exchange of monies, you will have all you require and more! I will provide you with instructions, data, testimonials, and double-blind trial results. I will provide everything necessary to convince you of the efficacy of my most amazing potion once you cross my palm with silver.

You, not being a complete ignoramus who is innocent of the world, might suspect that my motives are less than pure and that my medicine is not all I claim. Truthfully, I respect all my readers, all both of you, far too much to try to bamboozle you with such an obviously flawed pitch.

The Right Honorable Speaker of the House of Representatives, one each Nancy Pelosi (D-Botox), on the the other hand must think we're all morons who fell off the turnip truck yesterday:
But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
So buy this product, and once you've bought it, we'll explain just what it is you've bought.

I think there's a word for this when it's a commercial transaction. Somehow, when politics gets involved, the word no longer applies. I wonder why that is?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home